Thursday, September 13, 2007

Good Old-Fashioned Fast Food

I was at Target yesterday, on the way home from a long (but fun) afternoon of Irish dance at a friend's house. John is out-of-town and I was starting to think about dinner somewhere around 5:45.

I decided I needed something easy but not terribly unhealthy. Too much of that lately and I wasn't feeling so good after all of that!

I decided to think a little European. (At least it sounded sort of European). We had lots of cheddar cheese at home. I picked up a large can of fancy mixed nuts at Target. Then I dropped by our new local grocery store and picked up apples, grapes, a couple loves of nice bread, grape juice and a little bit of some fancy cheese that the kids love (strawberry peach stilton).

When we got home, I popped the bread in the oven 350 degrees for 15 minutes (including preheating time) while I cut and washed the other things as needed. The spread was colorful, tasty and reasonably healthy - and the kids loved it!

2 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

The ONLY thing I like about Butch being out of town is that we can "do whatever" for supper. Especially no meat! Butch would freak out if I didn't include some meat (NOT CHICKEN!) in every meal (except tomato soup and grilled cheese, that's okay meatless). I love doing the "European thing" for lunch and wish I could do it for supper most days. It's a lot less planning and pressure! He's not a tyrant or anything, I just like to make him what he likes.

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

Aah... I wish I was at yoru palce-- I have got to move to Wisconsin. Husband is in China (of all places too) and I just came back from the store with frozen strawberries to make smoothies instead of ice cream, and frozen pizza, and canned soup, which I almost never get, and tortillas, and frozen waffles. *sigh* ... At least tomorrow I will bring most of my basil in and make tons of pesto-- I did pick up whole wheat pasta.