Sunday, April 15, 2007

Our Storm Song

I thought I'd post this in honor of all my blogging friends who are dealing with stormy weather (especially in Texas and New York). I always sang this to our children when we were huddled in the basement of our old house during a storm (it brought comfort to me as well) . It's an old song (and prayer) that was once used by those at sea for protection from storms, so it seemed very appropriate.

Our old basement was a rather dank, quite small, fieldstone basement and we had a number of storms that knocked the power out, brought down trees, etc. (In one storm, one of our plastic patio chairs completely disappeared and we never found it!) It was a little frightening to be down there when the lights blinked on and off and then went off completely. The house we live in now has buried power lines and more modern basement, so it's more of a lark to be down there, though we still sing the song on occasion. :)

The song is "Hail Queen of Heaven, the Ocean Star."

Words, music and a midi file can be found at this link.

1 comment:

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

I was amazed to see the storm in NY briefly on TV yesterday as I stopped at a Walgreen's. For once, other states had storms while South Dakota had sunny, not-windy weather with temps in the 70s! Amazing. I will pray.
Ana