Monday, March 19, 2007

Marriage Meme


I'm tagging myself on this one from Among Women. I've been meaning to record some of these things anyway. The feast of St. Joseph does seem like an appropriate day for this.

1. Where/How did you meet? At Thomas Aquinas College. He was a Junior and I was a Freshman. We started dating in May of my freshman year.

2. How long have you known each other? Almost 20 years.

3. How long after you met did you start dating? Maybe 6 months. I didn't know him very well at first, though he and a friend played a prank on me right around when I first met him. I worked in the development office at night and often by myself. I left the light on and the door locked while I went to the commons to get a snack and they managed to somehow sneak their way in and scare me when I got back - which I thought was very funny, by the way.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged? two years

5. How long was your engagement? a year

6. How long have you been married? 15 years in August

7. What is your anniversary? August 22 - the Queenship of Mary

8. How many people came to your wedding reception? Not sure exactly. We had an informal reception in my parents' house and yard. Probably around 150. We had a second reception once we got to Wisconsin for John's relatives and friends of his family.

9. What kind of cake did you serve? A triple-layer lemon cake with white frosting. I paid a lady from our choir to bake it and my father-in-law (who is a wonder with cakes!) pieced it together, frosted it and made simple edgings and decorations on the morning of the wedding. One of my bridesmaids added fresh flowers and it was topped with a very nice bride-and-groom statuette that my mom and my grandma and my sisters chipped in on for one of my bridal showers.

10. Where was your wedding? St. Simon and Jude Catholic Church, Los Altos, California

11. What did you serve for your meal? Coldcuts, bread and rolls, cheese, salads and misc. goodies (including strawberries dipped in melted chocolate) - we got a lot of our food and all of the wine and champagne from Trader Joe's. (What a bargain - they had really nice champagne - technically sparkling wine - for $3.50 a bottle !) My friends from TAC put most of the food together. They were amazing!

12. How many people were in your wedding party? I think it was 14, counting the flower girl and ring bearer, best man and maid of honor.

13. Are you still friends with them all? Most of them - esp. since most of them were relatives. I'm not very good about keeping in touch with all of my friends in there.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? I don't think so.

15. Most special moment of your wedding day? The ceremony was beautiful and we had a fabulous choir (the St. Ann Chapel Choir - directed by William Mahrt, who is now the president of the Church Music Association of America). The reception was a lot of fun and I was glad they waited until after John and I left before jumping into the swimming pool in their formal wear! I also loved the toast given by the best man (ahem, the one who instigated the swimming by jumping off the diving board in his tux).

16. Any funny moments? My two year old niece Michelle (now almost ready for college!) kept hugging John and my dad and knocking their home-made boutonnieres off before the ceremony. One of my bridesmaids (now Terri's godmother) solved the problem by affixing them with about six pins each!

17. Any big disasters? no, not really

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Sunset Beach in Monterrey Bay. We also visited Mission San Juan Baptista

19. How long were you gone? three or four days

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? I would have stayed in Monterrey for at least a week! I also would have had the choir sing a beautiful four-part Regina Caeli that I absolutely love (from the TAC choir repertoire). Silly me - I was thinking the song was more appropriate to the Easter season and yet it was the feast of the Queenship of Mary. Duh! :)

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? um, the left side, I think. It varies.

22. What size is your bed? King

23. Greatest strength as a couple? our friendship for each other

24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Getting everything done!

25. Who literally pays the bills? My husband earns the $$ and I spend them. :)

26. What is your song? We don't have just one song. We used to send each other "various artists" compilations when we we were dating and engaged long distance for my last two years of college. They were very eclectic mixes. John was the DJ while he was at TAC and I've always loved music too. Our tastes coincide quite nicely.

27. What did you dance your first dance to? The Landler

28. Describe your wedding dress: It was a pretty basic satin dress with an embroidered bodice, puffed sleeves and a train. I borrowed it from my sister-in-law who had been married eight years earlier. Long enough that no one really noticed and I had always loved her dress (not that I would have cared anyway if someone had noticed, LOL). I made my own veil to go with it.

29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? White roses, white and pink alstroemeria, and baby's breath. This was kind of neat because my mom had done some consulting for a florist who gave us all of the flowers for free. (My mom has always been great with computers). We (my mom and I and my wonderful maid of honor and bridesmaids) made all the flower arrangements, bouquets and boutonnieres from these flowers. A little flower tape and wire does wonders!
My mom also spent months getting our gardens planted with flowers that would bloom right around the time of the wedding. It was beautiful and fun place to have the reception!

30. Are your wedding bands engraved? no

31. How old were you when you got married? I was 22 and he was almost 25.

6 comments:

electroblogster said...

God Bless everything that had to do with that day!

I am wholeheartedly quoting my grandfather from whom I learned much about life. And he put this phrase just right.

love2learnmom said...

It was a good day, wasn't it? :) Too bad I never got to meet your grandfather.

arlawless said...

Now this is my kinda meme. Can't wait to do my own! :-)

It was great reading all the details surrounding your wonderful day. Too bad I couldn't be there. It was what -- four years before Stephen & I met? It sounds like it was such a beautiful event!

Love,
Molly

love2learnmom said...

I can't wait to read yours, Molly. Glad I got to be at yours at least. :) That was one of the nicest weddings I've ever been to!

arlawless said...

Aw, thanks. I'm so glad you (and many other people) had such a nice time! :-)

Kristen Laurence said...

You were beautiful! What a special day - I love how much of it was prepared by family and friends.

You dated during your freshman year?? Tisk, tisk! :)