Monday, March 19, 2007

Love in the Little Things: Tales of Family Life by Mike Aquilina

I just started this little gem (written by a Catholic homeschool dad and blogger) - and I'm already 3/4 of the way through. It's a very modest and yet in a way astounding collection of random stories about family life that are connected to or speak to our Faith in some way. It's inspiring, encouraging and, in a number of places, laugh-out-loud funny.

Here's a little sampling from a chapter contrasting his severe allergy to cats with an aversion to sin...
If only I had a suffocating feeling whenever I approached a sinful thought, word, deed or omission. If only my neck swelled upon each occasion of impatience with t he kids, insensitivity toward my wife or anger toward those I perceive as enemies. If only my urges to criticize others could be automatically overwhelmed by the desire to see a shopping mall or for some other severe mortification. If only I could see that, while it's irrational to believe in a feline conspiracy to make me sneeze, it's the height of sanity to believe in a vast demonic conspiracy to make me sin.
More when I finish the book.

I think I'll be pairing it up with Danielle Bean's new book for review in Heart and Mind.

Read a sample chapter at the publisher's website.

No comments: