Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Guess What?

I get to pick the books (and some DVDs) for our public Library's "Holiday Tree" (where people pick a book "ornament" to buy for the library in someone's name, as a gift). Last year was the first year we put together the tree (as a family project), but getting to pick the books was a big surprise! :) The theme is junior non-fiction (yippee!) and the head librarian liked all my choices so far. What fun!!!

I've been the secretary for our Library Friends board for awhile and that's how the project came up.

Here are a few of the titles slated for the project:

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky
Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick
The Mystery of the Periodic Table by Benjamin Wiker
This is America Charlie Brown (DVDs - thanks Lissa!)
A bunch of the "Let's Read-and-Find-Out Science" Series

I still have to come up with some others, make sure the library doesn't already have them and make sure they're still in print.

2 comments:

Nancy C. Brown said...

I love this idea. I'm suggesting it to our library.

love2learnmom said...

Thanks and glad to hear it! Feel free to use the book list.

By the way, it's so nice having the library catalogue online - I was easily able to tell which books they already had. Amazon is admittedly very handy to figure out which books are in print and how much they cost. Now I have to send the list through the acquisitions librarian to make sure we aren't duplicating books that are already in process (it's kind of funny - after I met with the head librarian, I walked into the children's area to pick up Gus and realized that they had just bought one of the sets I had on my list).