Monday, July 17, 2006

The Phantom Tollbooth

We finished The Phantom Tollbooth on Saturday and it was even more delightful than I remembered it. The children loved it too. :)

The Phantom Tollbooth was a book I discovered on my family's bookshelves when I was very young and devoured over and over again. It's an adventure in good thinking. Well, at least it's an adventure in the Kingdom of Wisdom which has been turned upside-down by the banishment of Rhyme and Reason. The book has a point, but it doesn't come off as preachy - it's much more creative and far more entertaining than that. And who wouldn't laugh at all the abstract things that come to life in the story - the Island of Conclusions (yes, you have to jump to get there), the Gross Exaggeration, the Threadbare Excuse...

Here are just two favorite spots I bookmarked along the way (I don't want to spoil the story afterall)...

"And remember also," added the Princess of Sweet Rhyme, "that many places you would like to see are just off the map and many things you want to know are just out of sight or a little beyond your reach. But someday you'll reach them all, for what you learn today, for no reason at all, will help you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow."



"That's why," said Azaz, "there was one very important thing about your quest that we couldn't discuss until you returned."

"I remember," said Milo eagerly. "Tell me now."

"It was impossible," said the king...

No comments: