Saturday, April 30, 2005

Thoughts - September 26, 1998

Lord to whom shall we go, you have the words of eternal Life.

My heart and my head are filled with so much right now that I had to put something on paper.

Lord, tell me what you want me to do with my life and I will do it.

So much of American's lives are tied up with formal schooling and jobs. I don't espouse getting rid of either. But all too often they overshadow that which they are intended to serve; that is our life in the service of God. People view school as being for the sake of money. It would seem their entire lives are lived for the sake of money.

Forgotten: Family Life, Spiritual Life, Community Life.

You cannot serve two masters. Our lives must be directed toward God. Formal schooling should have the purpose of developing the intellect in order to prepare it to be used for God - which has both practical and spiritual significance.

So much of schooling is aimed at performing well on tests. This is backwards - tests should give you a sense of how you're doing in your education. If you're doing well that should be obvious from the test. But the test shouldn't define your education.

No comments: