Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Zoo in Winter

Last weekend we bought our first ever Milwaukee County Zoo Pass. We got the impression from previous random visits (hadn't been there in about four years) that the zoo was well-designed for winter as well as summer visits. We were not disappointed. Really the only downside aside from, yes it was rather chilly (about 20 degrees out), was that the signs in the outdoor viewing areas were caked with snow. We didn't know the details of what we were looking at.

But it was still pleasant to walk around and see animals like these...

DSC_2111

...even if we didn't know *exactly* what they were called or where they were from. I could picture these as being from some place like Mongolia.

The swans were breathtaking and the ducks and geese seemed in limitless supply.

DSC_1986

This guy cracked us up. Is this how all the herbivores became extinct?

DSC_2083

The indoor viewing areas were fabulous. We visited the primate house (where, believe it or not, there was a bridal show going on!), the big cats house and the aviary. Incredible!!!

A penguin on timeout?

DSC_2071

A thoughtful gorilla?

DSC_1977

Checking out the cheetahs...

DSC_2144

Everyone's favorite lion...

DSC_2127

8 comments:

Sweetness and Light said...

What fun, we love going to the zoo year round to see what all the animals are up to! And can I just say how much I LOVE that banner photo, just precious :)))

Theresa said...

What a great zoo! I LOVE the time-out penguin (cracked me UP!!!) and the thoughtful gorilla! Fabulous shots!
Oh, and those two-humped hairy beasts are bactrian camels, fwiw.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/bactrian-camel.html

love2learnmom said...

Thanks - I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'm SO thrilled to find a reasonably easy (and inexpensive) outdoor place to take the kids in winter. Frank, especially, has been getting a bit stir-crazy. Can't go tomorrow, though. We're expecting -3 with a -30 windchill.

Theresa - thanks for the tip on the camels. Glad you enjoyed my quirky sense of humor. :)

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Beautiful photos! You know, just the other day I was asking the kids, "Is the zoo even open during the winter?" 'Cause we've got a pretty big one here in town.

Well, what troopers you all are to have gone! Perhaps if the temps reach a balmy 10 or 20 degrees we'll follow suit. :)

arlawless said...

I absolutely LOVE the picture of the penguin on timeout. It's hysterical! ('Cause it really does look like he's in trouble!)

Or wait... is he actually doing Yogi? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am an avid reader of your blog. I live in NH, but I went to College at Marquette and my husband is a native Wisconsonite. Anyway, I loved your pictures. The Milwaukee Zoo is such a wonderful place. Next time you go and you are by the penguins and the aviary ask for Carol Kagy. She is my sister in law and a zookeeper there. Tell her Michele said hello and maybe she will have a few moments to show you something special (sometimes she takes us behind the scenes).

Sincerely,
Michele from NH

love2learnmom said...

Thanks Michele - I definitely will!!! We LOVED the aviary!!!

love2learnmom said...

Yes A.R. - definitely yogi! :)