Thursday, December 06, 2007

Happy St. Nicholas Day!


Frank is very happy with his candy cane and his new hat, but maybe he got up just a little too early. :)
By the way, celebrating St. Nicholas Day is a local cultural phenomena in the Milwaukee area. Instead of opening stockings on Christmas (as I did when I was a child), pretty much everyone in the area puts their stockings out on the evening of December 5th. My husband grew up with this tradition and I really like it - and I love it that we have it in common with our neighbors and local extended family. The kids usually get something along the lines of a candy cane, a small bag of chocolate, some cold weather gear (like slippers or a hat) and maybe a small stuffed animal or doll (generally saved up from a garage sale). This year they also had some nice little Marian coloring cards from Illuminated Ink.

2 comments:

Suzanne Temple said...

Oh Alicia, this picture is just too too cute. My heart jumped when I saw it because I could have posted an almost identical picture of my Zachary wearing his hat and with his candy, too! Adorable. We may both need a nap this afternoon though.

Kristen Laurence said...

Positively precious!