Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Fr. Brown Reader by Nancy C. Brown

From our resident Chestertonian (and Fr. Brown afficionado), Ria. To give you a little sense of her interest in Fr. Brown, I should note that she and her friend gilbertgirl seem to come up with a Fr. Brown story (that illustrates some of the truths we're talking about) for each of our catechism discussions.

Anyway, here are her comments on the book:

"Although I'm not generally a huge fan of adaptations, thus far I am enjoying the Father Brown reader. Mrs. Brown, rather then just writing a simple summary of the story, has wisely used Chesterton's own wonderful wording, and omitted only passages which are a little difficult to follow and might bog down some readers. There are however a few minor instances where her retelling changes some part of the story.

When I first announced my intention to read the stories to my 5, 7 and 9 year old sisters last night, the seven year old was rather reluctant to listen. She was more interested in listening to Narnia which my dad has been reading aloud, but Father Brown soon had her hooked. (Terri, the 9 year old, was perhaps even more reluctant - in fact at first she was reading Narnia to herself, but she too was quickly drawn into the story.)"

Terri says (with a big grin on her face): "Fr. Brown is really funny and interesting."

Bernie says: "I really like Fr. Brown!"

Kate says: "I really like it!"

I haven't read it myself yet, but it sounds like Nancy and her illustrator Ted Schluenderfritz and her publisher Margot Davidson all did a fantastic job!

The kids tell me that they will be working on a photo somehow relating to this book some time soon.

2 comments:

Hillside Education said...

So glad you all are enjoying it!!
Margot

nutmeg said...

My eldest has already devoured it... I am so glad he enjoyed it! (much better than Hardy Boys)

:)