Thursday, March 15, 2007

Quotation Books

When it comes to spiritual and inspiration reading, this busy mom really enjoys quotation books with little tidbits to read and reflect on. It's certainly not the only reading (or spiritual reading) that I do, but it really fits the bill sometimes. It's not just about busy-ness, sometimes it's just not having enough focus to sit down and work my way through a book. I've noticed that I tend to have spurts of more intensive reading and times when I have trouble focusing - the quotation books are so nice for those off-times.

I just found a wonderful little set of Saint quotation books from Ignatius Press (on sale through Lent). There are four volumes titled Sermon in a Sentence: A Treasury of Quotations on the Spiritual Life: Vol. 1. St. Therese of Lisieux, Vol. 2. St. Francis de Sales, Vol. 3. St. Catherine of Siena and Vol. 4 St. Teresa of Avila.

Here are a few samples...
There is only one thing for us to do during the night of this life: to love, to love Jesus with all the strength of our heart, and to save souls for Him that He may be loved. Oh! the joy of causing Jesus to be loved! (St. Therese of Lisieux)

The King of Glory does not reward His servants according to the dignity of their office, but according to the humility and love with which they have exercised it. (St. Frances de Sales)

Zealously do what is in your power, giving honor to God and your best efforts to your neighbors, trusting that the Holy Spirit will do what seems impossible to you. (St. Catherine of Siena)

A much greater love for and confidence in this Lord began to develop in me when I saw Him as one with whom I could converse so continually. I saw that He was a man, even though He was God... I can speak with Him as with a friend, even though He is Lord. (St. Teresa of Avila)
Other quotation books I enjoy are The Quotable Knox (Ignatius), The Quotable Fulton Sheen (Galilee Trade), The Catholic Book of Quotations (Our Sunday Visitor) and Thoughts of St. Therese (TAN)

2 comments:

Kristen Laurence said...

Perfect for the little quotes we moms like to post on bathroom mirrors and such! Thank you.

Karen Edmisten said...

This looks wonderful! Thank you!