Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Saint Francis of Assisi

It seems that Saint Francis has been the theme of our past couple of weeks. I just finished reading Chesterton's St. Francis of Assisi last night. What an incredible book. It was the sort of book (similar in a way to The Everlasting Man) that is so "filling" that you have to lay it down after awhile to "digest" it. Great stuff! This just might be my favorite Chesterton book to date - and I really didn't expect that.

I received a copy of Nancy Brown's study guide to Chesterton's St. Francis as well. I've only skimmed it so far, but enjoyed the preliminary details she's gathered in her introduction and I'm sure the study questions (and writing prompts) will be helpful for getting more out of the book. One more note in passing (I'll be working on a detailed review for love2learn sometime in the near future) is that I'm very impressed with the beauty and quality of the book at a very reasonable price.

Finally, completely un-planned by me, except for adding it to the list once upon a time (I usually forget to check what's sitting in my queue at Netflix), the movie that arrived this week was Roberto Rossellini's Flowers of St. Francis (1950 - black and white, in Italian with English subtitles). It was certainly a perfect time to watch it. It's not a complete story of Saint Francis - more like little vignettes.

No comments: