Thursday, January 25, 2007

Because I Love Lists...

I couldn't resist Farm School's challenge of whittling our favorite children's picture books down to 25 "essentials". I have to admit they are somewhat "representative" since I purposely avoided repeating authors or series. Dang. I just realized I didn't include a Jim Arnosky - I'll have to go ahead and make it 26. Here goes anyway (in no particular order)...

Angus and the Ducks by Marjorie Flack
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky
The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie de Paola
D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths
A Day on Skates by Hilda Van Stockum
The Children's Book of Heroes (edited by Wm. Bennett)
For the Children: Words of Love and Inspiration from Pope John Paul II
The Handmade Alphabet (in fact I REALLY need a new copy of this one!)
Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold Lobel
Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton
Little Bear Treasury by Else Holmelund Minarik
The Moon Seems to Change by Franklyn Branley
My First Body Book (Dorling Kindersley)
The Princess and the Kiss by Jennie Bishop
The Old Woman Who Lived in a Vinegar Bottle by Rumer Godden
The Song of the Swallows by Leo Politi
Saints and Angels by Claire Llewelyn
Pamela Walks the Dog by Christine Marlin
Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall
Golden Children's Bible
Amazing Buildings (Dorling Kindersley)
Merry Go Round: A Book About Nouns by Ruth Heller
The Fussy Angel by Mary Arnold
Crinkleroot's Guide to Animal Habitats by Jim Arnosky

Okay - we're off to the Latin convention soon. Prayers would be appreciated for safe travel (I'm driving). Have a great weekend all!

No comments: