Get through Christmas without using the credit cards.
The reward: make one major stride in getting financial boat in order for large things - like college - beginning to loom on the horizon.
1. Save some shopping for the last few days before Christmas (critical paycheck)
2. Buy Christmas Cards at 90% off at Target the previous year(well, that's kind of a coincidence)
3. Save some goodies from a wonderful Rummage Sale in the fall
4. Encourage the kids to make homemade gifts and do lots of baking
5. Read books like The Wind Blows Free and The Christmas Turtles which help reinforce #4
6. A certain amount of letting go of expectations and of keeping up with society's vision of Christmas preparations
And you know what? We're having a really wonderful Advent this year - not in spite of, but partly because of these things.