Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Princess Bride

I used to have a tradition to take the kids to see a movie in the theater whenever John was out of town (read: Taiwan). We've seen Narnia, Over the Hedge, and Herbie: Fully Loaded. (Maybe more, I can't remember.) That gets pretty pricey though - we easily hit 50 bucks when we go to the theater (and we always buy popcorn and soda). We still do it sometimes anyway, but I often revert to buying a new DVD and getting some candy and popcorn for a movie night (plus some Dr. Pepper and chips for me).

Anyway, tonight it was the Princess Bride (which was a big hit). My brothers and I saw this when it came to "Pay Per View" (just a little while after it was released in theaters) after it was recommended by our friends at Kolbe Academy. It was a huge hit in our house and I went off to TAC the following year where it (along with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) had fully integrated itself into the local culture. (Only the most serious and lofty things, of course.)

Ah what great lines...

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!
Have fun storming the castle.
Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? ... Morons.

Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.

and of course...
Inconceivable!
It was a lot of fun going back to this movie after so many years (and funny how much more I enjoyed it this time than last time I watched it, when all the kids were too young to really appreciate it). The DVD, naturally, has the added benefit of subtitles and documentaries (very funny too!).

I've also come to love the Internet Movie Database which helps us figure out just who it is that looks and sounds familiar. (Today we were amused to find that Miracle Max's wife was the nanny in Disney's the Pacifier. I also discovered that Donald O'Connor - an actor who we've always enjoyed in Singing in the Rain but I have a funny personal "connection" with - played in Beau Geste - along with Gary Cooper and Ray Milland - at age 12.)

3 comments:

Willa said...

My husband and I were just talking about that movie the other day -- funny! One of our favorites too : )

Entropy said...

We love, love, love the Princess Bride. My brother and I used to watch it 10 or so times a year and my husband and I were completely thrilled when our children decided to love it as much as us...we've even got them quoting it! "Hallo, my name is..." It's an absolute classic.
Keep spreading the good news...after all "this is for posterity."

Karen Edmisten said...

"My name is Inigo Montoya ... you killed my father ... prepare to die."

Yup. We all say it around here. Love that movie!