Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Evelyn Waugh on Education

Yesterday I found this interesting little snippet from Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited (written in 1945 though the novel is set mostly in the 1920s and 30s) which makes me want to read more of Waugh on education...

(he puts these words in the mouth of a priest)

"The trouble with modern education is you never know how ignorant people are. With anyone over fifty you can be fairly confident what's been taught and what's been left out. But these young people have such an intelligent, knowledgeable surface, and then the crust suddenly breaks and you look down into the depths of confusion you didn't know existed." (from Part II of "Brideshead Deserted")

I always found C.S. Lewis' introduction to St. Athanasius On the Incarnation interesting because of his exhortation to read old books in order to take ourselves out of the limitations of modern errors. It is part of the reason I have enjoyed Chesterton so much as well, I think and makes me that much more interested in what Waugh has to say.

No comments: